Churches: Underwriting Guidelines

In order to be considered marketable, title to church property should be vested either in the trustees of the church (unincorporated churches), a corporation (incorporated churches), or in a bishop or other applicable church official (corporation sole churches). Proper documentation showing the church organization and entity status must be provided. Some considerations to be addressed in dealing with churches include: Most unincorporated religious organizations are either Ecclesiastical or Congregational in structure.